Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Teens and peer pressure

A recent study done at Temple University teens and why the make bad decisions and what causes teens to make these bad choices even while driving.  The study was done using 40 people ranging from 14 to adults.  They were asked to play a driving game in which if they finished in a certain time they would get a prize, but there would be penalties for getting into wrecks.  First each person played by themselves then after that they were told that some of their friends were also playing the same game.  When the teens were told that their friends were also playing or watching they ran 40 percent more lights and got into 60 percent more wrecks.  They explained this by saying that the reward section of the brain showed more activity when friends were present.  They are basically saying that teens do stupid things around their friends for the reward that comes with the stupid activity. I can agree completely with what their study has shown.  Being a teen myself I have been pressured by my friends to do stupid stunts that I would not of tried if I was alone.  Even with driving I seem to drive a little more reckless when i'm with friends as if I am trying to prove that I can be reckless and still drive well.

No comments:

Post a Comment